For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

The funny side...

Its sad that it takes two weeks to update a blog, but in all fairness I knew that my follow up would be slow and I am a teacher with limited time on my hands:-)

Anyhow, the school fundraising festival was last Thursday.  They called it Las Champas.  The best translation we could come up with was a bizarre.  There were booths from the different grades with typical Honduran foods (I had enchiladas... not exactly the same as the enchiladas you get at Puerto).  Unfortunately the rain forced the traditional dance competition inside but the burro Hondurano (Honduran donkey) was left tied up on the basketball court, ha!





What else can I tell you about the past week?  Oh! Of course... Teaching the 5th graders about fertilization.  In case you wanted to know, when you ask a 5th grader to describe what a spermatazoid looks like, they aren't going to tell you color or size but things like: "It looks like a microphone!" and "It looks like a mouse!"  If thought I could get away with laughing during this particular lesson I would have but I don't think it would've  set a good precedent for the kids. Lol.

Two funny things from today: I got asked if I slept well last night cause my eyes looked Chinese (squinty maybe was the point? ha) and I found out that it is possible to "floss cut" your finger (as opposed to paper cut):



No bandaids in the house for some reason, so yes that is a paper towel and masking tape, lol.  I wouldn't have bothered but Emily did happen to have neosporin so... ya.

To top the past two weeks off, we got a package from my grandma in the mail!  It was full of goodies, but my personal favorite....



Yes, that is two beautiful bags of cinnamon toast crunch!

I'm so glad God is a god that enjoys humor ;-)  This past week I tried to explain that concept to one of my classes by telling them to try to look at a zebra without laughing... They didn't quite get it.  Now that I think about it, they don't often get my jokes... The one time I really remember one of the students laughing at something I said was when I interrupted a computer class and the teacher introduced me to the 10th graders (whom I don't teach) and explained I was going to be a doctor.  They were working on diagnosing a broken computer at the time, so his comment was that I would be doing the same thing but on people.  My reply was
"yes, but it will be a lot messier than this."  Most of the class just stared at me, but one girl laughed.  It made me happy :-)

What else... Oh, ya.  Emily is learning the high school musical dance to "We're all in this together."  And I have video to prove it!

So, its good that life here is not altogether boring even though most weekdays are filled from start to finish with teaching, grading, and planning.  I still think my calling is in the medical direction, lol.

Faith or Experience - Chambers

2 comments:

  1. haha! Oh Ashley, I love your makeshift band-aid. I'm with you on the whole teaching thing. It's nice for a year, but my calling is elsewhere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woah... you hurt your finger? I hope you didn't fall down the stairs afterwards. Too bad I wasn't there to repay the kindness and take care of you. haha!

    ReplyDelete