For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Science AND God (not "or")

Upcoming this next week at school are my two greatest teaching challenges I foresee having this year:  teaching human reproduction to the 5th graders and teaching on Creation & evolution to the 5th, 6th, and 7th graders... Let's leave the former and just talk about the latter.  

The principal has requested on no uncertain terms that I teach a literal interpretation of Creation to the students in line with the values and beliefs of the school.  On the one hand I want to honor that request and respect the school's beliefs.  But, I don't agree with that interpretation.  In my desire to be a good teacher, I am desperate to share with the students my understanding of science and God and how they are intimately connected, not in opposition to each other.  My fear is causing the students to think that they either have to believe the Scripture literally OR believe the scientific research that’s been done.  

It is a dangerous road to propose that such a significant part of the Word is directly opposed to scientific study: 1) because I do not believe God calls us to belief separate from intelligence and 2) because all science does is study the world that our Creator created.  Science is not evil. 

I would really appreciate specific prayers for this issue as I struggle with exactly what to teach and how to teach it.

3 comments:

  1. If you ever have time, I would LOVE to read a blog about your interpretation of Creation and how God and science are so intimately connected. Just think of me as one of your students... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no doubt you will figure out the perfect way to handle this dilemma. I feel like this is a battle every science teach has to deal with. Let us know how you decide to handle it!

    I just realized that this post was from last weekend. So...I hope it went well! Hopefully I can talk to you this weekend and hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, I'm sorry that I had not read this earlier, but since we pray for you every day, I guess God knew what you needed this week. Hope things went well, and since you and I have talked about this, you know that I agree with you. Let me know how things went.

    ReplyDelete