For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Quick Updates

Week one of November = already gone.  Wow.  Time is really flying by.  Which has got me thinking about the rest of my time here...

What do I want to be able to say about the time I've spent here by next June?  What will I regret not doing?  You know, all of those big questions that are easier just to ignore... if you can.   In a short discussion with Emily about it I decided that I needed to make some goals, so that I can focus my efforts instead of just wandering around with my feelers sticking out trying to get a tap on something that may or may not be there.  All that to say, this week I am going to spend time praying for God to give me a handful of names of people (students, colleagues, Buen Pastor girls, etc.) that I should focus on trying to invest in and get to know.  After all that's what Jesus did with his disciples, right?

In other news, the AIDS Festival (or Expo Sida in Spanish) was a riot.  5th thru 11th graders answering all kinds of questions about HIV/AIDS to play games and win prizes.  There was also this great movie they showed  about the consequences of poor choices in such subject matter.  It was a pain trying to get the kids to stay quiet and listen, especially since they were sitting on the floor of the auditorium trying to lie down, play with each others hair, use their cell phones, etc.  Discipline is my least favorite part of teaching... and maybe when kids fail my class.  Right now I have about 22 of my 150 that failed this quarter.  Not good.  But apparently 22/150 isn't bad.  And most of them were well aware that they were border line.  The good part is that I can say with certainty that non of them failed for lack of intelligence, only lack of effort.  Sad but true.  If only there were some way to get them to understand the privilege of education and the benefit in their lives... the age-old battle of parents and teachers alike I'm sure. Lol.

More exciting news: my birthday is in 22 days!  Thanksgiving is coming up!  there are only 5 weeks until vacation!  and ONLY 6 WEEKS UNTIL MY FAMILY GETS HERE!  I am so excited about seeing them! Costa Rica and Copan, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment