For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Thought on Suffering

It never ceases to amaze me at how many different messages can be pulled out of one piece of scripture.  This morning before church Emily and I were listening to a sermon by Matt Chandler given to the students at Southern Seminary last fall.  He was preaching from the same text that has been the closest thing to my theme verses for my time here as I've got, Hebrews 12.  His sermon jumped around a little bit but the overall message was this:

there are faith victory stories and there are faith suffering stories (Heb 11), since you don't know which path you might be on you should answer this question "Is Jesus enough?"


This is a major paraphrase, but the gist of it is there.  Is Jesus going to be enough if your story is one of suffering?  Are you so intimately in love with Christ that no matter what else happens, you are going to be able to run the race marked out for you?  To endure because of the joy set before you?  In my own life, I have to answer that question with a "no."  But here is the grace of God:  at this point in my life he has not yet asked me to endure great suffering.  The realization I have had since arriving here, however, is that he would have that right.  He has the right to ask me to endure great suffering.  And the mistake that I have made most often in my life and am willing to bet is a very common mistake among the believers I know is to not prepare for it.  Practicing a reactionary faith rather than a operative faith. 


Whether in great ways or small ways, trials of suffering are going to come to everyone.  And it my mind, trained to think  in college survival strategies, the way to go about surviving is to know your basic Biblical truths and be ready to turn to them as soon as the storm hits.  Have that reflex ready to go.  Practice that reflex well.  So instead of simply remaining tethered to the anchor that can hold us secure, we know how to find it quickly when things turn south.  That is my practice anyway.  It allows us to live a comparatively effortless faith, that takes little self-discipline and little intentionality.  But there is a good reason for Christ to have commanded us "Abide in me."  Not come when you need to or come when you feel me drawing you or hang on to me in time of need.  He says "Abide in me." (John 15)  The goal here is not to weather the storms.  The goal is to be fruitful.  When I make this journey about surviving the storms, I am making God's invitation to me to participate in the grand story of his redemption and glory into a crutch to comfort me in hard times.  Talk about throwing pearls to swine.

Holy Father, as you have taught our predecessors in the faith the true purpose and intention behind all that you have done and intend to do, teach it to us.  Teach us the grand story that we might not think highly of ourselves but that we would understand in humility the part you have asked us to play, not for our own betterment but for the sake of your name that we now get to enjoy because of your salvation.  Anchor our hearts to you, that we may abide in you and find joy in all circumstances.

Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin that clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising its shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - so very insightful. Thank you for sharing. I've been thinking on this all morning since I first read it. Love you lots and pray for you all the time. May we both, abide in Him, daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "But here is the grace of God: at this point in my life he has not yet asked me to endure great suffering. The realization I have had since arriving here, however, is that he would have that right. He has the right to ask me to endure great suffering."

    Have been wrestling with that this week! Definitely needed to hear this, girl. Thank you for posting your thoughts out there in the open and admitting that you aren't perfect nor do you have all the answers. Thank you for stirring my heart with hard questions. Praying for you and thanking God for you tonight.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete