For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Adventures can be mundane sometimes.

After a few more days in the grand city of Comayagua, there is very little excitement to report.  It's amazing how the days can blur together when much of what you do all day is make lesson plans get home around 5:30, make dinner, clean the kitchen, work on various projects in a dazed state of mind, and finally crash around 9.  I suppose I should be thankful for the relative calmness of it if nothing else since I week from now kids start coming to school and all chaos will unleash :-)

The encouragement we got today from one of our supervisors: You will be fighting a war this year.  You'll be fighting to teach the kids and the kids will be fighting to not learn anything.  Grrrreaaaat...

In other news we have some new friends living in one of our sets of drawers eating away at the wood.  Fun times.  But seriously, two more missionaries arrived today, twins from Jamaica who went to school in NYC.  More girls our age to spend time with!

Suppose I'll end with prayer requests for the end of the week:  That I find time to practice my Spanish more often and can really begin to break that communication barrier to more effectively be a witness here.  And that the Lord will renew my mind so that my concept of success changes from being a perfect teacher to being an effective tool for his kingdom.  They may be related in my case, but certainly NOT the same.

I want you all to know too, that I count myself eternally blessed to have you all in my life.  This wouldn't be possible without the support of your prayers, encouragement, and friendship.  Love you all and miss you like crazy!

Ahora, yo vivo en Comayagua pero no es mi hogar.

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to read your posts, Ashley! I will pray for the things you asked for. Love you, girl!

    Also, I am very excited that I can mentally translate the Spanish you have posted. Six years of classes are finally paying off! I can read brief sentences! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was a reason I checked my fb tonight. So glad to "find" your blog. Will definitely keep you in our prayers. I laughed at the description of your day - sounds like mine, except for the "relatively calm" and "crashing around 9" parts - but one can dream, can't she? Enjoy, my Friend! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tu hogar esta donde tu personas estan.
    (written by me)

    Google translate's version:
    Su hogar es donde su gente está

    Find your people.

    ReplyDelete