For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The beginning of week two...

Tomorrow is the first day of our second week at school.  Well the second week of planning anyhow (and the last one).  Which brings about a set of mixed emotions.  Nerves obviously because I've never managed or taught a classroom before.  Excitement because part of me is ready to just dive in, see how bad it's going to be and start improving on it.  And probably a thousands feelings in between and beside.  All in all, I have to say I'm doing better than I thought I might.

Today was a good day.  At church this morning there was an American mission team, meaning the service was translated into English :-)  Very refreshing.  And we were able to bring the young moms from one of Emily's parent's projects "Buen Pastor" several of whom supposedly accepted Christ last week.  Fantastic!  It didn't hurt that we showed up early for church so made a quick trip to Dunkin Donuts right before the service.

Next was a soccer game and having five of the guys from the soccer team/the farm (Granja, boys orphange) over to the house for dinner on a spur of the moment invite.  It took a little while to clean up but thankfully one of the guys did most of the cooking so it wasn't bad.  To answer the questions that I know some of you will teasingly ask the answer is NO.  Enough said about that.

Going into this week my prayer requests are largely the same: rest, strength, wisdom, and beginning today homesickness :-/  I am beginning to miss friends and family especially on Sundays and its hard, but our God is indeed a good Father, yes?  He continues to remind me that such sacrifices are a beautiful thing and precious to him when they are made in the service of his kingdom.

A young mother, age 19, was sitting by me in church this morning with her young daughter as I was tearing up a bit from missing family.  I stood there during the worship music holding her little girl for her so that she could rest her arms and realized something... In America I was so far disconnected from people like this precious mother who is living in Buen Pastor because her family didn't have enough money to support her and who may or may not have chosen to have this child.  But here I can laugh with her using my limited Spanish, hold her child during the service, show her love in simple ways, for the cost of missing my family this particular Sunday.  Is it simple, yes.  Does it make a global impact on the world, no.  Do I believe that God will do much greater things than these as I am willing to obey, undoubtedly.

I just hope I'm ready.

(Oh, and I never got the video from the previous post to load, but it's on Facebook now.  Look under my videos to find it :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment